Saturday, July 26, 2008

Testing What You Preach

This week has been real tough for me, as well as an eye opener. It all started on Sunday, where I preached on perhaps one of the toughest verses in the Bible. Perhaps not the toughest to understand or interpret. But the toughest to live. Romans 5:3-5. Speaking about Glorying in tribulation.

Romans 5:

“3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.”




This verse is easy to understand, but takes great courage to live. How many of us can glory when times are rough. How many are thankful to God for the increase in the petrol price? How many are joyful when the interest rates go up? How many can have a smile on their face when they have no job and a hungry family to feed, debts to pay? How many of us can shout out "HALLELUJAH" when we are at rock bottom and the times are rough? Not many. In fact it takes a special breed to do that. Our natural tendency is to panic, to cry, to run and hide and perhaps even to blame others, of which one might even be God.


Yes its tough to be happy, don't worry everything will be alright. What Romans teaches us, is that this toughness, this special power, can only come from the Holy Spirit. It is not Natural for us to be in a state of joy when the world around us is falling apart. But the commandment from God, is to have faith in Christ, that He will never leave us nor forsake us. That He will not tempt you above what you are able to bear, but will with the temptation also make a way to escape.

I Cor.10:13 “There has no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that you are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that you may be able to bear it.”




This reminded me so much of that poster entitled "Footprints in the sand". How God is with us all the way, even when we believe or feel He isn't. This was the crux of my message on Sunday. The problem is that God was going to put me to the test, to see if I can live up to what I preached.



If you have read my other post. You will know that I am without a permanent job, or at least a permanent job in the normal sense. I am trying to work from home, with my new Internet business. My wife, Beverley, has hurt her back in a really bad way, and is probably in need of surgery.



Here is what happened this week. We found out that we have no more medical aid funds. After three months without work, no money has been coming in from the new business side. In fact no new business has come in. Debts are building up, and the overdraft is exhausted. What am I to do. What kept coming to my head was that I need to put my faith and trust in the God whom I serve. He knows the end from the beginning. He knows our needs. I kept praying day in and day out. Lord, help me through this, I am at a loss.



You know what, the Bible tells us that Gods strength is made perfect in our weakness. 2Co 12:9 “And he said to me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest on me.”
This was my case, I did not know where to turn. I needed money, I needed business. I needed people who wanted web sites, so that I could work and get money. Life is not fair you know. I am willing and wanting to work, to build web sites. But I could not get anybody to bite.



Well just as God is true to His word, He came through. On Wednesday, an old colleague phoned me up, wanting my help in a programming job that he was doing for a client. Great that's worth R5000-R8000. Then another Pastor friend of mine, phoned me up to say that a security firm that he deals with, needed a web site. Another R1500. I then went to a presentation, where I was able to network with people. They were so impressed with my presentation, that three expressed a willingness for me to do something for them with regards to web sites. More work, Great!!!. Then I got a call that a bunch of attorneys, also needed a web site. I have a telecom meeting with them for next week.



What came out of all this was that God was able to bring all things together for me, just to show me that He can bless, if we trust him and Glory in our tribulations.



My encouragement to you. Is keep the faith. Don't forget that God is all powerful, He is able. He will never leave you nor forsake you. He will be with you till the ends of the earth.



Do you have an encouraging story to tell? Do you have a situation to share where God was able to work wonders in supplying your very needs? Share your experiences with us, leave a comment. I'd love to, as I am sure others are to, to hear from you.

Heb 3:13 “But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.”



Remember "Glory in tribulation".

No comments: