Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why start a blog?

Why did I start this blog?

Well simple really, I have strong views and sometimes controversial views about Christianity. I believe that I am called to share the word of God with as many people as I can. Leading those who do not know Christ to a saving knowledge of Him. Uplifting other Christians and speaking, or blogging in this case, the truth.

The internet is a wonderful medium to achieve just this. There are so many people to reach, its amazing. I think more Christians should take hold of this opportunity.

I've been a Christian since 1983 when in my matric (12th grade) I heard a message entitled "Hell and how to get there". Coming from a broken home of alcoholism, fighting and just outright ungodly behaviour, I was keen to get away from this environment. I was interested in death. What was it? Where did we go after life? Could we come back? I was interested in outer-body experiences. Keen on time travel. The only thing I hated about death, was the pain. If I had to die, it would have had to be quick. I always said that if I ever went sky-diving and my parachute never opened I would go into a head dive. I did not want to have the pain and suffering. Obviously the chances of surviving such a fall were near impossible, but you understand my state of mind.

Well, when I heard this message, it scared the living daylights out of me. I was not one to scare easily. I loved watching horror movies, but this was a horror movie for real. I mean imagine going to a place like Hell, and never having the ability to get out or be redeemed. That's scary.

Anyway after that message I trusted Christ. Ever since then I dedicated my life to the spread of the Gospel. I went to bible college for many years. Went fulltime into the ministry. Got married. Got a full time job. But still remained true to my conviction.

I started to help out at a church near by me. Soon the pastor left and the church was left without a leader. I decided to step in. So now I was pastoring a church and holding down a full time job.

Well years went by. This year I left my full time job and started working from home. I wanted to finish my theology schooling and dedicate more time to my family. Why is this significant. Well I think its a brave thing to step out in faith and trust God for your income. Many will find that strange, and perhaps even hard to believe. But as you continue to read this blog, you will find some amazing stories as to how a living God can and will take care of you.

As of now, my new home job, developing web sites and Search Engine Optimisation has not made much money for me. But it is still in the infancy stage. I believe that God will help me make a success of this.

Anyway, having the ability to work from home has given me the opportunity to create a blog like this. To be able to share my views. Help others. Answer questions. Post controversial ideas. share what the Bible has to say. Correct misinterpretations , and in general give God the Glory.

So here is the question. Are you a Christian? Do you believe in God? I would love to hear from you. Drop me a comment. Do you think I am mad, off my head, lost a few screws? I don't mind.

Why not share some of your experiences with me. Let others know how God has worked in your life. Perhaps you have a burden to share. Maybe you have a prayer request. Imagine having millions of people around the world, those reading this blog, praying for your situation. How powerful is that? Maybe you have a wonderful testimony to share that will help and encourage others. What ever it might be, join me and others in sharing the truth of the Gospel.

Even if you let me know where you are from, I would greatly appreciate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Robert,
As posted here already, how difficult it is to remain faithful and in good spirit when we have times of trouble or difficulty.

I would like to take that post to a higher level, the things mentioned in that post are factors but compared to afflictions related to ones physical health they are nothing.

Many Christians did in fact stay faithful to the end as Christ ask us to do.
Lets talk about some of those ends and how tempting it would be to denounce God, if even just for the moment to get out of the pain or pain to come.

- First "My Mom", blew me away, when I said to her; "Mom, I wish God could give you (us) a miracle, that would cure your cancer and let you have a good remaining life".
She replied:
Greg, God has given me a miracle, (Anxiously I said what is, what is it!), she said, this cancer, it has given me an opportunity to grow closer to God, and to better prepare myself for meeting Him, I have been offering my pain up to Him for me and for others. I was astonished but actually taken back a little and taught something very important. The value of suffering.

// A great Saint once said
“Suffering is the greatest treasure on earth; it purifies the soul.” And 343: “True love is measured by the thermometer of suffering.”

When I think of this last statement, it strikes me as being so true. It is short and sweet but packs a power punch. Look what Jesus did to show His love for us "Suffered". Would you suffer for someone you don't care about? Probably Not! They wouldn't be worth it.
\\

- Dismemberment (Lord help us)

- Put in a small room, so small that you can not extend your body fully. (very very scary), left in this room for months, I have heard some cases of possible years in small room confinement.

- People were tortured in so many ways, who remained true to Him. (Lord help us)

Who knows what challenges this life will bring us.

I thank God for many things and people but especially these awesome Christian Saints, these Martyrs. They followed Christ to the end through extreme pain and suffering and never gave up, they proved it can be done, what greater teachers than that of the ones who teach by the way they live their lives.

Thank you Lord for your followers, please give me the strength and courage and whatever it takes to do the same. I intend on following You to the end but I also know how difficult it might be.

NOTE: There is a way to lose your salvation, it is written, that to denounce God is to lose internal life, don't forget that Sinning without reconciliation or the intention of reconciling would be equal to denouncing God.

Thank you Robert for this opportunity to share.

Greg Hill